Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Welcome Mistake

Well I took on another project...one of those "didn't turn out as expected but still turned out pretty great" types. I decided to knit billed beanie for my "man friend". I found a pattern on Ravelry here :http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reasonably-hip

Some how I ended up with a toddler sized hat instead of a man sized hat. Which is ok, since I happen to have a pretty darn cute toddler running around this place in need of a hat. Part of the problem is I used a light gauged yarn then the worsted size called for in the pattern, but I still used the same size 7 needles called for. I was not expecting such a drastic size difference. Once I started working the piece up I started to realize it wasn't big enough and my choices were to with rip it out and start again with a new pattern or try to adjust the existing pattern, or I could keep on going and see what happened...not  fan of ripping any work out, I continued on.In stead of knitting til the back measured 6 inches I stopped at 4.5 then I cut the template for the bill out smaller. Needless to say I'm quite pleased with the results.
So, I am off to try this again, with a chunkier worsted weight yarn and bumping the needle size up to 8. If the hat is still too small I figure that the worst thing that could happen is that I end up with a hat that is too small for the man friend but big enough for the 7 year old :)

No comments:

Post a Comment